Sunday 13 January 2013

Magpie Monday - Denby Arabesque sugar pot


This little sugar pot was hidden amongst other pottery items on the crowded shelves in a local junk shop.

It is from the Denby Arabesque range, originally designed in the 1960's, and has all the attractive features that I associate with Arabesque. The shape of the sugar pot goes with the other items in the coffee set and the hand-painted markings are really beautiful.

The shop owner told me the least he was prepared to sell it for was £6, but that seemed like a good deal to me as they go for at least twice that on eBay. I'm not planning to sell this on because I love it too much.

After washing off the dust and sticky gunk that was inside, I am now using it as a sugar pot. It is much prettier than the old plastic container we were using before.

Linking up with Magpie Monday at Me and My Shadow.

  Me and My Shadow

12 comments:

  1. Denby Arabesque is my all time favourite set. I came across a large set in my local charity shop a few months ago. Price wasn't unreasonable given what they often go for, but couldn't justify it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your restraint! But then again, I'm quite enjoying having just a couple of items from the Arabesque set without having to find the funds or the storage space for a bigger collection.

      Delete
  2. OH's aunt has an ENTIRE dinner service of Arabesque that I covet every time I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Ruth and very you i think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is very me - you can tell I'm a 1970s child can't you?

      Delete
  4. Great find! You could use it jewellery too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm thinking I could also use it for buttons or trimmings if I ever get a proper craft corner.

      Delete
  5. It really is lovely - and great that it's now in everyday use too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I always find it really uplifting to scrub something lovely and put it to use x

      Delete

I love reading your comments and will reply to as many as I can