Sunday 6 January 2013

Magpie Monday - vanity case


This Samsonite Silhouette vanity case is probably one of my least sensible eBay purchases ever, but I love it. 

The colour is a gorgeous shade of duck egg blue, and the metal looks as shiny and rust free as if it came out of the packaging yesterday, even though the case is about 50 years old. The original key is attached.

I am thinking of using the case for craft storage. It is clean inside and does not smell at all musty, so would probably be suitable for fabric and cross stitch projects.

One of the reasons I had an eye out for a vanity case like this is that some of the American bloggers who join in with Magpie Monday seem to find lots of lovely mid-20th-century suitcases and vanity cases. I don't have space for large suitcases so I had a saved search on eBay for vanity cases to see what I could spot. Lots of the vanity cases I saw were a bit the worse for wear with rusty catches, plus they were expensive. When I spotted this Samsonite case in this lovely colour I couldn't resist bidding.


Me and My Shadow

9 comments:

  1. It's a beauty! I love that it has the original key!!!

    Yes, vintage suitcases are in abundance over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a real beauty!

      One of these days, I'll get chance to go thrift shopping in your neck of the woods. In fact your booth would probably be a good place to start!

      Delete
    2. Eeeeeekkkk! Yes! That would be awesome!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness I'm in LUST!!!! That is so gorgeous. I must remember to set up saved searches on eBay, that's a great tip.

    Happy New Year to you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too!

      I always have a few saved searches on eBay for whatever I'm after. By spending a few minutes setting up a saved search you can save yourself hours of fruitless hunting.

      x

      Delete
  3. This is just your colour Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is just my colour! It even co-ordinates with this blog :)

      Delete
  4. That is gorgeous - would love one of those.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will reply to as many as I can